Machine shop lead
Full Job Description
Are you an experienced machine shop supervisor, looking for a new challenge working with world-class innovative products at a rapidly expanding business? Are you passionate about delivering results, achieving high standards and supporting your team to thrive? This hands-on management role may be just up your street….
Started in the mid-1970s, Chippenham-based Dymag is an iconic designer and manufacturer of lightweight motorsport and supercar wheels. Many Formula 1, Indycar, Moto GP, Superbike teams and current Isle of Man TT champions have raced and won on Dymag wheels.
Our business is growing rapidly. Over the past couple of years, we have achieved significant revenue growth, secured new investment and partnerships and expanded our factory, not to mention collaborating on breaking a world speed record! We’re proud of what our team has achieved so far and are excited about our future.
That’s where you come in. To support us in making further improvement to our production processes to support our continued growth, we require a dynamic and inspirational Machine Shop Lead to manage our team of machinists and optimise processes and capability in this work area.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As Machine Shop Lead, your principal responsibility will be to ensure the seamless delivery of Dymag products through the management of staff and subcontract manufacturers, ensuring volume, quality targets and delivery dates are met. You will also be responsible for driving continuous improvement activities in your area, in collaboration with the broader Engineering and Operations team. The individual will also be the subject matter expert for 5 axis programming and machining.
Reporting to: Director of Manufacturing and Quality
Direct reports: Senior CNC Technician, Trainee CNC Technician, Machining Technician
- 5 axis programming and production of high value / high precision metallic and composite machined parts for both prototype and production use
- Maintenance and production of CAD models and drawings (tooling and components)
- Development of CAM models using Hypermill
- Production schedule as agreed with production management is clearly communicated to the machining team and adhered to with priorities clearly assigned, and that plans are put in place to promptly mitigate exceptions and fed back to the planning team
- Team is fully trained in SOP’s / work instructions / quality and health & safety requirements (through individual training/induction and regular briefings), delegating aspects of training delivery and mentoring to experienced technicians as appropriate.
- All documentation and route cards are completed promptly and accurately
- Leadership and development of a team of experienced and trainee technicians, including involvement in recruitment and induction, conducting appraisals and regular reviews, absence management and leading by example to inspire high standards of performance and behaviours that align to company values and expectations.
- Developing and sharing own and team members’ knowledge so that individuals are cross-trained to operate different machinery to maximise the team’s efficiency.
- Sharing expertise within the team to problem solve and enhance working practices, including taking ownership of resolving unexpected problems as they arise (such as machinery breakdowns), as well as driving longer term continuous improvement activities within core work area.
- Day to day liaison with subcontract manufacturers, suppliers and Dymag supply chain staff to ensure products are delivered on time, on cost and to the required quality standard
- Inputting into process design and documentation e.g. Operating Procedures, Bills of Materials, Quality Standards, Quality Records and maintaining technical information in the ERP system
- Ensuring material and product traceability through areas of responsibility
- Specification of new plant and machinery and CapEx proposals as required
Additionally Dymag expects the candidate to undertake the following on a day to day basis:
- Comply with Health and Safety Policy and procedures at all times in the workplace and drive a culture of “safety first” across the business
- Contribute to production process continuous improvement with a focus on quality
- Collaborate with the Quality Team to ensure Dymag maintains compliance with ISO-9001 and other relevant standards
- Take part in meetings as a team member and actively share experience, knowledge and solutions with colleagues
- Exercise absolute integrity in respect of confidential matters
- Maintain a high level of housekeeping to 5S standard within the factory but specifically in the individual’s own work area
- Adhere to the company’s standards for integrity, professionalism and accountability
- Carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post at all times in compliance with all company policies and legislative requirements
Key Success Factors:
- Excellent end component visual and structural quality when measured against Dymag’s defined standards to minimise scrap to a negligible level
- High production throughput in line with target volumes and cycle times
- Acting as a team player to help Dymag maximise quality and productivity
- Regularly inputting into optimising the production process to reduce cost and increase production efficiency and quality
- Machine shop team members are cross-trained to operate different machinery to maximise flexibility and productivity, and to support their skills development
- Motivated workforce with low attrition rate and minimal disciplinary / capability issues
Knowledge, Training and Qualifications:
- Excellent understanding of CNC machining techniques and CAM software (Hypermill)
- Ability to create automated CNC programmes and related tooling for high for high volume production
- Good working knowledge of CAD software (Solidworks or Catia desirable
- Ability to read and draw information from engineering drawings/manual including GD&T
- Working knowledge of ERP systems e.g. SAP
- Computer literate – proficiency with standard Microsoft Office tools
- Knowledge of composite materials and other related production techniques
- Understanding of ISO9001/IATF16949
- Formal vocational qualification in relevant Engineering or scientific discipline
Skills & Experience:
- Line management skills, including demonstrable experience in leading a diverse team in a busy production environment
- Demonstrable experience working in a similar role within an engineering production environment working independently on high value / high accuracy machined projects
- Excellent organisational and problem-solving skills
- Practically minded with ands-on experience of using variety of tools and machinery
- Problem solving skills
- Excellent communications skills and able to work with team members both on site and external
- Past work in an ISO9001 engineering environment or other regulatory system
- Experience working in a related fast-moving, quality-focused technical environments (e.g. automotive, motorsport or aerospace)
Attitude and Behaviour:
- Takes ownership
- Reliable and responsible
- Keen attention to detail and drive for accuracy
- Proactive can-do attitude and willingness to overcome obstacles
- Flexibility with regards to tasks and timings
- Willingness to get hands on in understanding and developing a process
- Strong team player
- Ability to support team to achieve targets
- Resilience and adaptability in a dynamic working environment
- An interest in cars / motorbikes
- Flexibility to work additional hours if required
Competitive salary package based on experience.
24 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays, increasing after 3 years. Paid sick leave, pension scheme, uniforms, Health Cash Plan, including funded dental, optician, physio, health screening, wellbeing and counselling support, 24/7 GP with prescription service, plus shopping, leisure and travel discount platform. Cost of living allowance (£200 per month) payable over winter 2022/23 (until March 2023).
If you’re excited about this opportunity and the potential to grow your career, we’d love to hear from you.
Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining what appeals to you about the role and what makes you a strong candidate by Thursday 12th January. For an informal initial discussion about this opportunity, contact our HR team at Dymag.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Additional leave
- Company pension
- Employee discount
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Store discount
- Wellness programme
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Chippenham SN14 6NQ: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 13/01/2023